The Blacksmith’s Shop

The Blacksmith’s workshop (Smithy) was built in 1855 to provide running repairs on site. After training for many years as an apprentice, the Tees Cottage blacksmith would have worked, lived and slept in the Smithy. The work would have been hard, involving long hours in a hot and dirty environment.

The workshop still contains many of the original tools the blacksmith would have used. The blacksmiths of today may not work as hard as their predecessors but they use many of the same techniques.
Working demonstrations are given on most Open Weekends.