The Gas Engine

 

this is a gas engine

As technology improved, gas replaced steam powered engines. This gas powered internal combustion engine was designed and built by Richard Hornsby.

From 1914, like the earlier beam engines, it pumped water from the Tees to settling tanks and then to the town. Gas was originally provided by a Gas Producer Plant, which is still on view.